Pages

Thursday 26 May 2016

I have made compost with my class!

Today Room 7 made compost. We were divided into four groups. The two groups had banana peelings, the other groups went to collect some brown leaves outside, Miss Chao brought some freshly mowed grass from her place and some of our classmates also added in different coloured waste like old newspapers. 

My group cut up the newspaper to small pieces some of us were tearing. 

Then, we started tearing and cutting them up into small pieces so that the compost can decompose faster and so we can fit them all into our compost container which is just a small one. We put them into our compost container and added a small amount of water to give moisture to the compost.

Then, with a giant fork and a plastic trowel, we were each given a turn to mix the compost. We had fun doing it and we were amazed because after so much mixing, the compost actually smelt like a salad. Then we added some more water to it. I had lots of fun making compost with my class.

My favourite part was mixing the bowl because we were all very excited about taking part.

Learning Intention: We are learning to write a recount.
Success criteria: I know I can do this when I follow the structure of a recount: orientation, events, conclusion to write about Room 7 making compost.

No comments:

Post a Comment